Sunday, May 2, 2010

Valediction

We pack our bags and bid adieu to all of our friends.

Moving into another phase of life as graduates and ready to take a step into the new world, we feel exulted. When the morning arrived on the first day of my college, I was nervous. Thinking about what was going to happen in this new life, a new phase. I feel the same kind of nervousness and chill moving down my spinal as the college is about to end. It seems only like a yesterday, that so many years just went by. Where did all the time go?

Then I realised, “Oh! Orkut and Facebook.”

I turned around and questioned myself,

“What did I gain in all these years?”

A voice came from deep inside, it was a burp.

Then my inner conscience secretly whispered into my ears,

“You were a boy when you came in here. You have learned how to get ragged at first and then how to rag others. It was when you had your first argument with the professor when you realised that there are no free lunches, you don’t get anything and people won’t make your life easy. You’ll have to take it and take it with poise and charm.”

I was baffled. I suddenly looked into the mirror to see if it was only me or if I was under the charm of any haunted spirit. Only when I substantiated that I am no less than a ghost.

My ghost continued,

“When you went to the canteen for the first time you learnt that getting the food was not easy even in the break time. You will have to go through the crowd and buy that bottle of cola to quench your thirst. When you first tasted the mess’s food you were exulted not because the food tasted awesome but because you were a day-sci and you got to eat much healthier food. When the professor was telling you the difference between Norton’s and Thevenin’s you were thinking that no matter how many resistances there are in the path, if you have the current you will pass through it and lighten up the bulb that is connected at the destination. The zeal is necessary in order to gain success. A stale and a salty mind can never work as a lubricant in the path of success.

The principle of optics taught you that light will always travel towards the darkness. Also, you understood that interference and diffraction are not just phenomenon, they add much more to your life. Where on one hand, Interference tells you that meeting of two ideas will result into another idea, it maybe positive as well as negative, and while diffraction told us that the journey to our destination will not be easy. On the other hand, Optical fibre taught you that no matter how many times you are deflected, you should never sway away from your path.”

This was too much gyaan for me though it was no where else but within me. I went on to wash my face and drank some chilled water.

Well that certainly didn’t stop the monster from extending his gyaan session,

Through second and third year, you learnt that everything else is just the advancement of what you read in the first. Life is quite similar; everything is an advance stage of the previous one. You just need to sense the right situations and make the best use of them.

In the fourth year you discovered that whatever you have been studying for past three years will never ever (not even coincidently) come across you again. During college, you also realise that no matter how late you come to college or perhaps you don’t even come, it is still manageable to maintain an 80% attendence mark.”

I sensed all that I have been learning during these years; I have had a transformation, from a boy to a man. I am much more mature than I was a few years back and I could feel it. The world was waiting for me.

Just when I was rallying all the gyaan that I have been giving to myself for the past one hour my cellphone alarm beeped and I realised I was yet again LATE for college on it's last day.


P.S: Dedicated to all the engineers I know, I m yet to know and I will never know ;)

9 comments:

  1. Amazing bro..really.
    Especialy 4 those who want to get da glance on how we cud write Er. just before our name..and thanx dude to make me travel back on those 4 years journey wid just a simple note.
    "Awesome yaar keep it up"

    ReplyDelete
  2. aawwsuumm yrr...u really rock...u knw wt u really reminded me of 3 idiots at sum plcs...nywayss thou i ws neva at ur plc..nor ws wid u ..but i cud feel n imagine almost evrythin..there is a life in ur writins..nn d best thing i lykd in it ws ur co relating n generalisin academic knowldge wd oll d truth nn reality abt lyf..god bless uu!!!.keep it up....*******....wd luv from..an engineer you knw ...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "gyaan"...!! cool imagination! i liked ur optical fibre comparison to life's distractions..."never sway away from your path!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "gyaan"...!! cool imagination! i liked ur optical fibre comparison to life's distractions..."never sway away from your path!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanx Abhishek :)

    @anonymous punjabi kudi .. Thank u my engineer fren :D ;)

    @farah .. thnx :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha.. nice walk through for four engineering years.. i think that's what ur friends need to know :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anshul thnx man :)

    @obsessed...thank u mam :) though i am yet to know your name !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice nice me likes :p

    P.S. this is the story of almost every student, like the canteent stuff :P ragging..thanx for taking me back 2 my college days...
    Uff wo bhi kya din the :P ...
    then again i had 8% attendance in my T.Y.BCOM and we were made to sign a letter that if we don't attend we wil be responsible if we're thrown out of the college :P ... but nothing happened :) ...

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs