Friday, February 7, 2014

That Night

Going out on a prowl at night is something anyone would do, if they have experienced it once. Well, I am a colossal fan of it. The possibilities of getting into trouble are high. It's serenely the most adventurous thing. Exploring the city at the wee hour, finding drunk people, people running back to home after their night shifts, drivers driving the cab to office for pick up or drop, It's maddening.

Life in metros and small towns is so different yet similar that you can imagine it only if you have experienced the both at first hand.  The metro life is actually fast as you might have heard or read, you can't even imagine. I've had experienced the best of both worlds hailing from a small town. Be it either the chaiwala's at the Charbagh station  or the Bangalorean Anna selling tea at 3 AM in Powai, both of them give the same feeling at this hour. I don't remember when I became a night dweller or a night wanderer.

You don't really have too many options at night - chai, coffee, bun-makkhan, jeera, coconut biscuits, pan-cake would be all in a place like Lucknow whereas, you'd get Maggi, coffee, chai, idle-chutni, biscuits, etc in Mumbai. However, these are the most relished cuisines of the night. Starving people coming back from work can't say a no to these. Being in Mumbai, I can only perceive the smell of bun-makkhan and jeera at Charbagh only through remembrance. Yes, I miss it and I know you're missing it too.

It's really not difficult to find such places. You just have to pick up your bike, if you have one and ride or you may choose to take a stroll. The excitement picks up the pace when you don't really know whether the chaiwala or anna would be there or not. There have been times when I am really hungry and I have to retreat to home in dismay. Well, that's the adventure out of it. The poor thing, however, is that these people pay a hefty, tax-free, fee (or hafta, rather daily vasooli) to the local Thullas (cops.) The cops have a stringent policy that says - "If you don't pay me, you can't do business here since I am the law of this area." 

Only if there was a law that allows these people to carry out their businesses witha legal license, there wouldn't be so much of hassles for these poor people. Apart from that, it would make cities more secure with more people out of their houses. The cops, however, will always push to have their own share. Wish there was something we could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Networked Blogs